From Carpets to Catastrophes We are Here to Help
There are so many decisions to be made when you are a home or business owner. Some are more critical than others, like what to do when disaster strikes. Most people know that SERVPRO offers 24 hour emergency service for water and fire damage, but we also offer many other services you may find helpful.
Here is a short list of services you can call us for:
- Carpet, Hard Floor and Upholstery Cleaning
- Odor Identification and Deodorization
- Stain Removal
- Contents Claim Inventory Service
- Crime Scene, Biohazard and Vandalism
- Water Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Fire, Smoke, and Soot Restoration
We know that time is a precious commodity when you need help so our team is available 24 hours a day. You can reach us at 407-788-3124. From Carpets to Catastrophes SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva is here to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Not Everything You Read Online is Helpful!
When it comes to knowing how to handle an unexpected occurrence like a water damage at your home, how do you know who to trust to help you and give you accurate information? There is a plethora of information online, but that doesn’t mean it is all GOOD information.
For example, when searching “how do I clean up water damaged carpet” there was a recommendation to sprinkle baking soda on it and vacuum it up with a shop vac, and then call a carpet cleaning company to clean the carpet. This may work for a small spill, say from a glass of water, but this would not be recommended for any substantial water damage.
If you have experienced a water damage in your home or business-from a burst pipe, leaking roof, faulty appliance, or anything else-you would want to look for a qualified professional to assist you in properly drying things out. Start by looking for a business that is well known. Do they have a long standing relationship in the community? Do they have online reviews? Is their staff IICRC Certified? How long have they been in business?
Here at SERVPRO we pride ourselves on serving our community. Feel free to give us a call anytime with questions related to your water damage needs.
How Do I Choose a Company to Clean Up Water Damage?
SERVPRO brings decades of experience and the latest in restoration techniques to local Apopka Area properties in need
It seems the most inconvenient times are when hot water tanks fail, toilets back up, pipes burst, or that leak in the roof happens. When you need water cleanup in your Apopka home, the key is to begin as soon as possible with the extraction and drying. Some of the key elements to look for when choosing a local restoration services company are:
- Ask about water-restoration related certifications
- Find out about the equipment that gets used
- Will the company work with your insurance carrier?
- Is there a policy to inhibit out-of-pocket charges by working within the scope of coverage?
- Does the company have access to professional-grade cleaning agents, antimicrobials, and antibacterial solutions?
Can Water Damage Restoration Companies Do Repairs As Well As Cleanup?
When choosing among local water restoration companies in the Orlando Area, you already know the necessary information to ask about. Getting repairs done after the water removal and drying of the structure makes the whole process seamless. With their general contractor license #CBC1258985, SERVPRO technicians can handle any needed repairs or reconstruction to every part of your home. Commonly needed repairs the technicians provide include:
- Replacement of sheetrock on walls and ceilings
- Installation of tile
- Refinishing or replacement of hardwood floorboards
- Painting and other cosmetic services
The technicians work to save homeowners the cost of repairs and replacement whenever possible. The use of equipment such as an infrared camera to identify water location assists in assuring that no moisture gets left behind. Other sensitive moisture detectors and hygrometers help the techs measure the amounts of moisture saturation throughout the home. Once they pinpoint all the locations, they can use their powerful extraction equipment to remove the majority of the water. Even if the water in the home is several inches deep, they have the equipment to handle it.
Special Water Damage Situations
When the water contains sewage, chemicals, or other harmful elements, the techs have training and experience handling biohazard-level cleanup jobs. The job entails wearing protective gear, and most importantly, respiration equipment aspirating water vapor can prove harmful. There are different types of containment, such as simple barriers made from heavy gauge plastic sheeting or setting up negative air chambers, both methods work to inhibit the potential for cross-contamination.
Floodwater from heavy storms or hurricanes is part of living in this part of the state, and it is crucial to work with a restoration services company that has the experience of dealing with this type of damage. This type of water intrusion event frequently needs controlled demolition. Sheetrock deteriorates rapidly and sagging ceilings or buckling walls can present safety hazards and require removal. The techs remove only the damaged portion and leave the rest of the structure intact to limit the amount of rebuilding needed to restore the home.
We Can Help With That Funky Smell!
SERVPRO qualified technicians will help address your odor issues in your home or business!
Bad odors are caused by various sources and are known to be associated with fire and water damage. Smoke and soot leave behind powerful odors that cling to everything: furniture, clothes, bedding, carpets, throw pillows, and other porous materials. Water damage causes many odors: sewage backups have their own pungent odor, and water leaks can also introduce a variety of musty smells including mildew.
Fortunately, SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva has odor removal down to a science, and our technicians have the training, experience, and equipment necessary to identify and eliminate offensive odors in your Apopka home. Here is a list of some of the most common household odors:
- Stinky dishwasher
- Dirty garbage disposal
- Dirty refrigerator
- Stinky, dirty carpet
- Soiled upholstery
- Dirty dog odor
- Dirty cat box odor
- Rodents in the attic
- Old cigarette smell
- Cooked food smell
- New furniture (VOC smell)
- Smelly clothes closet
- Musty mildew
- Gross bathroom smell
- Stinky front-loading washing machine
- Stinky mud room
When your home or commercial business needs odor removal assistance, SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva is Here to Help. ® Call us at 407-788-3124. We’ll identify and eliminate your awful odor problem in Orlando, “Like it never even happened.”
How Can Homeowners Salvage Wet Carpet?
No matter how careful Apopka residents are with their fixtures, accidents happen. A bathtub overflow can quickly saturate flooring and drywall in your bathroom, as well as hallway carpet. Without fast action, this moisture can delaminate bathroom flooring, damage your drywall, and create unpleasant odors from mold that can be costly to remediate.
SERVPRO is prepared to provide water cleanup for Apopka & Wekiva residents that restores their property and contents to a preloss condition. This team’s cleanup services also include structural restoration for components like carpet, drywall, and subfloors that have been compromised by water damage and microbial growth.
What Prepares SERVPRO Techs to Render Cleanup Services?
Certification and training. SERVPRO staff, franchise owners, and technicians alike undergo extensive, hands-on training, as well as self-paced online learning modules to further hone cleanup and restoration knowledge.
Restoration industry accreditation. Your local SERVPRO and the professionals therein are Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certified, meaning that they can consistently meet the standards put forth for the restoration industry at large.
Additional credit and non-credit courses. These courses are targeted at SERVPRO staff as well as real estate and insurance professionals who wish to expand their knowledge regarding disaster cleanup and restoration. Available classes include:
• Water Damage Restoration
• Fire Damage Restoration
• Understanding Mold in the Restoration Industry
• Restorative Drying for Loss Control
• A non-credit Mitigation Awareness Response Seminar
How Does SERVPRO Restore Water-Damaged Carpet?
SERVPRO technicians focus on careful extraction for carpeting to prevent it from separating from the pad when possible. Extraction can be performed with wands, wet/dry vacuums, and heavy-duty rover vacuums. Techs can tent carpet and erect polyethylene drying chambers to ensure that it is thoroughly dried before reinstallation.
SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva is prepared to keep your home looking, “Like it never even happened.” Call (407) 788-3124 for rapid-response emergency mitigation services 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Do's & Don'ts After a Water Damage
“I have a water damage in my home. Can you help me?” No homeowner wants to make that call, but it unfortunately happens to many. Once you’ve made the call to SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva, what can you do?
Thankfully our staff is trained to walk you through the job process and offer some tips you can use to help mitigate your loss while you wait on our crews to arrive. Here is a list of some of do’s and don’ts that might also help.
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the source of water.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shocks hazards.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
- Leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Use TV’s or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Rest assured these tips will help you begin to mitigate your loss while our team of IICRC certified technicians is on the way. Please feel free to call us anytime at 407-788-3124.
Storm Season is Upon Us!
Storm season is upon us! We are well aware of the dangers that each storm season can bring upon us here in Central Florida. Each year we all go through the necessary steps to prepare. Have you refreshed the batteries in your flashlights and storm radios? What about your plywood and supplies needed for board up? You’ve probably done these items as well as restocked your non-perishable food items, gathered water, and necessary medical items for your family.
Do you have an emergency plan for AFTER the storm passes though? What can you do to make sure that you get help with your home or business right away? It is a good idea to do a walk around and walk thru video of your home or business at the start of each storm season. You will then have an accurate representation of just what is lost if a storm hits. You also need to know who to call. Once you have secured your family and property to the best of your ability you can call us! SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva is on stand-by to help as soon as it is safe to be on the roads. When you call us we will get your information and we will ask some questions that will help us determine what we need to bring to help you. At that point we will let you know what our timeframe for arrival is and we may offer some suggestions to help you until we arrive. Rest assured, our team of experienced professionals is on the way!
Preparation is Key-What Should You Do to Prepare for Commercial Fire Damage
Commercial buildings have come a long way in fire safety in recent years. Thankfully many are equipped with sprinkler systems or other fire suppressant systems. Most also have multiple fire extinguishers on hand as well as fire exit plans posted. But do your employees know how these systems work? Here are a few tips to help ensure that your equipment is working correctly and that your staff knows what to do in case of fire emergency.
- Fire Alarms. Fire Alarms should be checked regularly to confirm they are functioning properly. This is the first line of defense in an emergency. This alerts your staff and customers that they need to quickly exit the building.
- Fire Extinguishers. Do you have enough fire extinguishers on hand? No employee should have to travel more than 75 feet to reach one. Do you your employees know where they are or how to use one? These are important safety measures to go over.
- Emergency Exit Lights. Confirm that all of your emergency exit lights are correctly placed and are functioning. They should illuminate when main power is off. This helps people to find the exit quickly in the case of emergency when tensions are high and visibility may be lost. Exit signs should have a test button that you can use to regularly ensure that they are functioning correctly.
- Fire Suppression Systems. Many commercial buildings have fire suppression systems in place. It is important that these be inspected regularly by a licensed inspector. Be sure that your staff understands how they work.
It is important to have a plan in place to prevent commercial fires, but it is equally important to have a plan in place in case something does happen. Here at SERVPRO of Apooka-Wekiva we offer an Emergency Ready Plan, or ERP to all local businesses. This plan puts all of the information you and your staff might need into one document that can be accessed by an app that you can load onto any device. This plan will note where all of your emergency shut-offs are as well as key personnel that needs to be notified. It also gives you quick access to our office so we can immediately begin to mitigate your loss and get your business back on track.
Our office services Central Florida cities like Orlando, Wekiva Springs, Apopka, Lockhart, Zellwood and surrounding communities. Please give our office a call at 407-352-1569 to discuss your preparedness needs.
Flash Flooding After a Storm-What You Need to Know
We may be the Sunshine State with great things like Disney World and Universal Studios, and Rock Springs but Central Florida can also be home to some severe weather events.
Regardless of what type of severe weather events are taking place, all of them should be taken seriously with safety being a top priority. However, this is something that is especially true when flash floods are a possibility, because of how dangerous they are. Floods cause the second-highest rate of fatalities related to weather in the United States and flash floods are the most dangerous type of flood there is.
There is rarely much notice involved with a flash flood, leading to people being caught by surprise in areas that are not typically involved in any type of flood incident. Flash floods can turn any body of water or drain dangerous, and it is so important to keep track of safety tips that could save your life.
Defining a Flash Flood
There are several different types of floods, but what makes a flash flood so dangerous is how quickly it can come about. When heavy rainfall occurs, flash floods will happen in less than six hours after they begin, often happening closer to three. These conditions create a scenario where people are not given enough notice and have very little time to evacuate or get to higher ground.
The Alert Systems for Flash Floods
If there is severe weather, it is important to tune into your local weather broadcasts so you can be privy to all the alerts that are issued, especially if there is heavy rainfall.
A flash flood watch will be issued when conditions are right for a flash flood to begin, while a warning means that one is imminent and you should take action quickly. Flash flood emergencies are extremely rare, but those are quite deadly and you should always move to high ground as quickly as you can.
Safety Tips for Flash Flood Precautions
When it comes to a severe weather event, safety is always the top priority—and in a sudden severe weather event, it is best to have the top safety tips memorized so you can act quickly under pressure.
- Stay alert if rainfall is heavy and prolonged, and stay tuned to local weather updates.
- Create a full evacuation plan that everyone is aware of how to execute.
- Always avoid crossing flood water, both when you are walking or driving.
- Do not come into contact with floodwater if it can be at all avoided.
- Know several evacuation routes you can take in case water blocks one or more of them.
If your home or business has been damaged due to a flood or other severe weather, you can depend on our team at SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva to help clean it up and make it "Like it never even happened." Contact us at any hour to learn more about our services or to report damage to your property.
What Should You Expect from SERVPRO After a Storm?
SERVPRO equipment is lined up and ready to go after a storm event.
Living in Central Florida has its advantages. We are close to Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World, and the many beautiful natural attractions-like the springs and beaches-awesome multi-cultural restaurants, and the I-4 Eyesore. Ok, that last one is a joke! We are also very familiar with hurricane season. While we may not always be in the major cone, we often experience some severe weather associated with these major storms. Here at SERVPRO we are available immediately by phone, and once it is safe for our crews to be on the road we will dispatch them to you. What can you expect if you call us?
- Our staff will answer your call. Our staff is trained for these situations. We believe that it is imperative for you to speak to us directly, not our answering service during times of disaster. Our phones are answered by staff for the initial days after a storm event so that we can best serve our community.
- Be prepared to answer a few questions. We need to gather some information for our technicians so that they can be properly prepared to help you. This means we need to understand what areas of damage you’re currently seeing. Do you have water and power? Do you need a roof tarp or board up? All of these are critical questions. We know that you are concerned about your family and your home. We are too. We want to do the best job for you.
- We will advise you of what is generally expected regarding payment. Some insurance companies operate differently during a storm event. They may advise that we collect payment up front, or they may advise that we wait to collect. Either way, you can be sure that we will be up front and clear with you about what to expect regarding pricing at the time of your service.
- Calls are dispatched to crews as soon as possible. While we wish we could get to everyone immediately it is physically not possible. We do however have the power of SERVPRO behind us. While we are busy working with customers on the phone we know that our SERVPRO team from around the country is on the way to back us up. We generally have additional crews in the area within hours. Our goal at SERVPRO is always to serve our community, and we have the backing of over 1,000 other offices to help us accomplish that!
- Safety is our top priority. Please make sure to let us know about downed trees or power lines around you if you are aware of them. Our crews typically are in large trucks. We will do everything in our power to get to you as quickly and safely as possible.
We hope that our communities stay safe this hurricane season, but if you need us we are Here to Help!
SERVPRO of Apopka Wekiva is proud to serve Central Florida cities like Orlando, Wekiva Springs, Apopka, Lockhart, Zellwood and many more.